Monday, February 13, 2012

Dont Forget where you come from.

I wanted to and have always wanted to pen a post like this, it’s one of those things that make me feel proud of the person I am today, the person that got raised by a Mom and a Dad that I am extremely proud of.

Growing up was not the easiest of things for a family that didn’t have all the means and necessities that a normal family had. No silver spoon stuff at all. Actually the opposite. Saying that, neither I or my siblings went to bed hungry, we had school clothes , books and the materials needed. Albeit hand me downs from family members that were kind enough or had grown out of their clothes.

My father was part of 18 children, 13 still living, my late mother was part of 7 children 6 still living. The former being brought up in Bertrams and the latter in Bez valley, where I spent a huge chunk of my childhood. Friends and bonds were forged that will never be broken.

I see this as the best opportunity to say thanks to all my mates from those days and who still remain mates today. I have moved on in life , I am living a life a bit more comfortably than those years , I am married to a wonderful woman and live in a different area, when I say different I say it with caution. With caution because to get the best of both worlds is very difficult, I live in an up market estate and yet have fewer friends. Whereas when I lived in a medium to low level area the friends were and are still real friends. Real friends that don’t judge, don’t point fingers and friends that would help you out at a drop of a hat.

The reason I am doing this blog is because too quickly people forget where they come from, don’t. Had it not been for the upbringing and they moral values that your parents instilled in you, you would not be where you are today.

Which brings my next point, people in South Africa are sick and tired of crime and the way our “democratic” government is being run. The mere fact that we have seen the demise of Julius Malema is a sign that even the A.N.C are tired of the crap that they themselves are causing. This is evident in the latest sentencing. However South Africans are still fleeing and running overseas. The problem lies with us. We don’t fight for our rights. We let the crime and ridicule happen around us and pass it off as just another statistic. When it’s too close to home we pack up and run.

We are a proud nation, with diverse cultures and more than enough natural resources, yet we run and hide when we are faced with difficulties, were we raised this way? We are the last of our generation; let’s make a difference that will impact generations to come. The grass is definitely not greener on the other side, man up and take cognizance of what’s happening, we need to stand together and fight the fight. Run and you will run for the rest of your life. Never forget where you come from

I watch in utter dismay as a Sport can bring a country together, faced with the same decision on voting day and we are as diverse as a U.S prison.

Stand together people, don’t run. Don’t bring up your children in a country where there’s no big 5, don’t bring up your children in a country where there are no Braais, don’t bring up your children in a country where they will forget their motherland…… We have the best country in the world.




Let’s do something. We face battles everyday , if we run because we don’t want to fight the fight what example are we setting for the next generation, as it is we are suffering the consequences of generations before us. My heart smiles when I see people happy and standing together.

Can you say the same?



DON’T FORGET WHERE YOU COME FROM.

No comments:

Post a Comment