Monday, August 9, 2010

My W.C Exprience

Its been a very long time since my last blog! So let’s get started with a trip to the Germany England game. Yes! That’s how long I have been putting this off! I have been very pre-occupied and have been very busy at work. Basically a 16 hour day has delayed my penchant for writing.

Afore we go though. The day started very early. 05h00 to be very precise, a drive to pick up my brother.

TYRONE







As he’s an avid German fan I decided to go against him and dress up in the best England kit and regalia possible.


The problem was that even though I tried I couldn’t get that English group to join and chant with. Ze Germans were a whole lot friendlier and more accommodating. So with no change of clothes available i put on a brave face and joined a German table and watched them try sip on that piss poor excuse for a beer called Budweiser. According to Fritz or at least that’s what I think he was called there was “nussing wize about it”.



We arrived in time to miss an emergency plane landing on the major road leading into Bloemfontein and parked at that great sporting school Grey College. I literally got goose flesh when I passed this house named after possibly our best ever National cricket captain.







The walk was very close and the stadium was very accessible. What a sight walking down to the stadium.







However ! nothing could prepare me for the sight I was about to see at the waterfront in Bloem. Which co-incidentally is right next to the stadium



To say that I was speechless was an understatement. Wow what an electrifying atmosphere.




I shit you not. There was even a real life Bobby to escourt the B.B.C



There were England flags, banners , people all over the waterfront. We had to queue for a position at the spur at 09h00 in the morning.
The time had come to make our way to the Stadium. Walking down all the signing could be heard from the waterfront.So to sit in the stadium while it was filling for me was the best experience of the day. From empty to full faster than an Ethiopian can run a 10000m race.











And finally full.



The players warming up.


Before we knew it , it was game on. To watch either of these teams in action would have been great, to watch them play each other was a once in a lifetime opportunity. They delivered a great game with 5 goals in it.

Two soccer super powers with one loser.






At the end of the day a great game , awesome atmosphere and even better people!

Here’s to South Africa hosting the best world cup ever.





PPAAAAAAARRRRPPPPPPPPPP!!

No comments:

Post a Comment